Wednesday, June 13

sittin' pretty

this was once a lovely floor length evening gown that was stuffed in my family's dress up box for years. my littlest sister went as  marilyn monroe when she was just a wee tot so my mother hacked off about half of the dress.

 i rediscovered it years later [like many things in our dress up box] and decided it was a wonderful dress. it's about mid-thigh length on me currently. after a year or so i decided it would be a good investment to get it properly hemmed.

 i will have to find out the era of this dress but it consists of three layers. an outer sheer layer, hand embroidered with silver, clear and green glass beads, a lime green silk layer, and then a lining. it still needs a bit of restoration as beads are constantly falling off when i wear it. 

i love this dress. i am really glad my mother hacked it apart, because i would have never had the guts to do it. and it would have sat in my closet, with me dreaming of an appropriate day, any, ever, to wear a floor length vintage gown. 




No comments:

Post a Comment